Thursday, October 11, 2012

3. We are Life and therefore Life isn't ours.


http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9598649/One-in-ten-babies-born-under-abortion-limit-now-survives.html

Great Britain opens the abortion limit debate again, where on the one hand the survival rates shown in the ONS figures are used to open up the debate again for new legislation and on the other hand the question whether lowering the abortion limit of 24 weeks will save more premature life. Where organisations like "the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children" and the pro-life group "Life" are advocating the lowering of the abortion limit to 22 weeks of gestation. The SPUC says: "but the viability of unborn children should not be used as a guide for reforming the law on abortion. Viability is a criterion which varies from place to place in the country and from place to place in the world. Viability has nothing to do with the humanity of the child in the womb; it has everything to do with technological progress and the excellence and dedication of medical staff. A child's capacity to survive is not what makes him or her a human being." While experts say survival of very premature babies has not changed dramatically for twenty years and disability rates remain high in those who live.

The question to be asked is a far more basic question, the pro-life and mostly religious based groups and the law have both hidden agenda's that have nothing to do with saving Life. Saving Life as stepping in the shoes of Life and not stepping in the shoes of manipulating Life on behalf of our opinions and beliefs, is an entire different starting point. When emotions, feelings, fears and money are the hand that feeds us, we are no longer capable to determine whether we serve Life or trying to own Life.

When a child can be saved at the abortion limit instead of being aborted, lets look at the future this child will have. In the most favorable case the child will be mentally and physically healthy and ends up in foster care or being adopted into a stable family and lives a minimum of a year. This sounds almost like a fairy tale, because how many of the 5 babies born at less than 22 weeks gestation out of 247 born alive, will be living the most favorable scenario when living for at least a year? That's what we are talking about here, according to the figures, only 5 babies will make it for at least a year. In the least desirable situation the child is saved from abortion, but at the same time physically and mentally disabled, living it's few months of life in hospital. The SPUC talks about "the humanity of the child", where is the humanity of the child in this equation?

If science and we were all that great we would know on beforehand whether we would serve Life or not when bringing a child into this physical existence at the abortion limit. Since we decided that a child in Africa, South America or Asia is not worthy of Life and therefore has no chance to survive as 1 out of the 5 babies, we are still nowhere, when it comes to understanding that Life is and can't be manipulated for self-interested goals without any consequence. Life can be great, but would you want to swap life with the baby of the least desirable scenario, that was saved for the greatness of medicine, law or pro-life people? Will suffering and dying within a year, serve Life? Will it serve Life when medicine shows it is capable of keeping a baby alive even in the worst conditions? Will it serve Life when the law allows this baby to be born and not being aborted? Will it serve Life when the pro-life people can say they at least saved a life? You tell me if it is our job to decide over Life when we not even understand Life let alone our own Life. Wouldn't it be enough to use common sense in any given case of abortion where we act in the best interest of all, where decisions about Life are based on Life?

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not realise that my child's life when born under the abortion limit will be a life of struggle where actually living in all it's potential is impossible and therefore I have to decide for the child whether this life is worth living.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not realise that my urge/longing for this child will possibly blind me in my decision whether I should keep my child alive on machines or let it rest in peace knowing the barbaric life it would have.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not realise that being the mother of a premature life is having to take care of the life that I manifested through consequences and therefore I need to decide on behalf of my child in the best interest of all whether this child should be saved or aborted.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to fear to loose my child when it is born under the abortion limit.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to mentally break down by the thought of loosing my child not being able anymore to decide in the best interest of all.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not realise that I act from a point of self-interest when I want to keep my premature child fearing to loose that what I determine as mine and will do anything to keep it alive even if it isn't in the best interest of the child.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not realise that my child even when premature, is not my possession, I do not own it, it is Life that I may cherish, teach and learn from.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to put myself before Life and decide over Life from a point of emotion and feelings, not considering the whole and the consequences that come along with it.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not care for Life when it comes to wanting to keep my premature child when I know the life it will have, saying that it will be though but the love for this child will heal it all.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not realise that loving a severe disabled child will not be enough to give the child a dignified life.

I forgive myself that I have accepted and allowed myself as a mother to not realise that what is best for me is not automatically best for my premature child.

I commit myself as a mother to see/realise/understand that I'm not the center of my universe and I need to learn how to act in the best interest of all to see /realise /understand that my decisions about my premature child are not to be made from the point of possessing the child and not wanting to loose what is mine.

I commit myself as a mother to care for all Life and therefore make a decision about the life of my premature child that can stand the test of time and provide my child with a dignified life.

I commit myself as a mother to see/realise/understand that the love for my child will not make it's condition go away, which makes my love within that moment self-interested and a veil in order to make a decision in the best interest of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment